Tomorrow (3rd Sept) marks my 1st year with Ernst & Young (EY) Penang. I did not think that I can actually reach the 1-year mark, because initially, you can say that I was not that happy in EY. Even when I was in Grant Thornton (GT) pun I tak sampai setahun, short by 2-weeks even though I was kind of happy there, I made many good friends. In EY, from the first day that I joined, people there were always planting all sorts of stories, rumours, gossips about my new workplace that I could not wait to get myself out of there a.s.a.p, that I did not care to stay to find out if all the stories have any glint of truth in them. And so I was applying other jobs elsewhere and got a few offers too, but then I was a bit malas to berpindah randah and start all over again cuz by that time I was already as good as 3 months into employment in EY. 3 months got into 6, 9 and seterusnya sampai laa harini.
To tell you the truth, EY is not that bad. One thing that I am very thankful for is that I am allocated into a big group which generally hold rather reasonable client portfolio. That is important, because we do not have to work around the clock for really cranky clients who do not know how to appreciate other human beings. Life is definitely better for the people in my group.
Initially I was kind of lonely in EY. I do not know that many people and I do not talk their language. Whenever I was in a big group I guess I stuck out like a sore thumb for I was obviously the quiet one. But I don't think that is a reason not to make any friends, because I learn now that friendship transpires languages, customs and religions. The funny thing is I even sang a Mandarin song for my annual dinner :D Even though I hardly understand the meaning of the song, for I just sort of memorized the words haha. Actually, there are a lot of people worthy of good friends in EY. Friends whom I can share thoughts and feelings, friends who came through the same way as I did and I can absolutely relate to their experiences.
And I get to meet with a lot of people too, especially when dealing with the clients. Sure, it's seldom when we auditors are treated with utmost respect by the clients, especially when they try very hard to avoid us. The sighs we hear when we walked into a finance or accounts department. Ha ha. But I have to say some clients are really professional in their attitude and work behaviour, for them I take my hat off.
I also have learn to participate in sports. I have to admit I am not that good in sports, for me sports is just about going to gym and running. Team sports and ball games...erm not really. But hey, just for the fun of it I joined the netball, volleyball, tug-og-war and hiking training and had a lot of fun. Though now I still duck out whenever a ball is about to come my way, I don't care, at least I show face for the training... :p Badan pun rasa sihat jer, dulu when I was working in KL jarang sangat exercise, sebulan sekali pun payah. Sekarang ni seminggu alhamdulillah dalam 3-4 hari tu mesti ada aktiviti bersukan. Hmmm no wonder I ballooned up when I was in KL. Dah la hari-hari makan breakfast and lunch kat kedai mamak. Then after office hour pun lepak and yumcha dekat mamak jugak. And you know la mamak food, none of them is healthy kan. But in Penang, life is more laidback. You can drive out for lunch, opt for healthier options. Drive out for lunch in KL? Kirim salam laa...sape nak sacrifice that one-hour lunch time just to get to your destination? Suddenly greasy mamak food tastes yummier.
So you can say I am rather contented with my life here in Penang. Hmm...isn't "contented" sometimes not a good thing to feel?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment