
My 12 + 6 week scan pic
In the UK, the frequency of ultrasound scan does not come too often. Majority of the pregnant moms in the UK get only 2 scans in the whole of their pregnancy period, one is at 12 to 13 weeks (dating scan - to estimate your EDD by the size of your foetus) and another is at 20th week (anomaly scan - to see if the baby is developing normally).
Unlike in Malaysia, the private clinics and hospitals charge you a bomb if you want to have a private scan, ranging from GBP99 to GBP299 (you can get a good travel system for your baby for that price!)
I know some people at my stage back home who already had 3 or more scans...at the price of RM50 per session, I would have a scan every 2 weeks myself just to put my mind at ease, that the baby is well. Cos right now you just don't feel the baby moving yet... Some people might feel 'flutters' but if this is your first pregnancy you normally would not realize these 'flutters'.
Anyway, when the scans come rare you try all the different ways to know that your baby inside is safe. And whether it is a boy or a girl? Some hospitals just don't offer to tell you the sex of your baby during the 20th week scan while on the other hand some hospitals do tell you.
Well who can wait until 20th week scan to find out?! And to find out that the hospital refused to reveal the gender...
By the way there is this new ruling (still in draft resolution) from the Council of Europe Committee suggesting doctors should not reveal the sex of unborn babies, in a bid to stop gender selective abortions. What the....I think it is a right for all parents to know the gender of their babies don't you think!
That is when I found out of the 2 theories to predict the gender of your baby from the dating scan pic.
Nub Theory
At around the 11/12 week scan at the end of the baby's body you can see a little bump (nub). The girl nub angle is less than 30deg and for a boy the angle is 30deg and over. Not 100% as some scan pics are hard to see a nub on (but is more accurate than those Chinese predictions). Click here if you want to understand the difference between a girl and a boy's nub.
My scan pic that I got the nub is not clear, at that time I wasn't aware of this theory so I did not ask the sonographer to get a clear view of the nub... but from the pic you can make a real wild guess I suppose...
Skull Theory
A male skull is longer and the forehead slants much more. Also, the chin of a female is pointier than that of a male. You can read on here for better understanding on skull theory.
Now...back to the scan pic...any guesses anyone?! :D


hurm......sian hg yer....sini kalau scan 3d dlm 60-80 la...kalau 4d mahai la sikir....pasepa mahai sgt nak scan eh....pelik la plak....
ReplyDeletebdw pewot aku tu dh nmpk sikit.....mak yg kata ok.......tak caya tanya mummy mia
baby boy! d angle mcm over 30deg...i guess =)
ReplyDeleteHi I am so excited I found your site, I really found you by accident,
ReplyDeletewhile I was searching on Askjeeve for something else,
Anyways I am here now and would just like to say kudos for a fantastic post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I
don't have time to go through it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the great work.
Feel free to visit my website ... africanmangoplusdirect.com
I thought this is a little girl x
ReplyDeleteIts a Girl
ReplyDeletegoogle law firm
ReplyDelete