
Today I am going out for an outing to watch Slumdog Millionaire with Mom and lil sis Jannah. OK I am watching an English-Hindi movie partly because it won 8 trophies at the Oscar. If not you wouldn't have caught me dead going to the cinema to watch a Hindustani movie.
But the main reason I am going to fork out RM10 from my pocket to watch this movie is not only for the fleet of awards it had acclaimed so far, but also that the slum kids of Mumbai featured in the movie are now been taken in by charitable organisations. Hopefully they will be given opportunities to achieve their dreams and don't end up wasting their lives.
So, a proportion of the box office takings are going towards setting up a Foundation to help these slum kids of Mumbai.
So please do not go download this movie or buy pirated DVDs because the money you spend in the cinema is actually going to a worthy cause. But the major plot of the story is about a boy who tried his luck in a reality TV show, an Indian version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" - and is on the verge of winning 20million rupees.
Now tell me, who hasn't watch your country's local version of the same-titled TV show? And who hasn't had the slightest flicker of supposing, "suppose...suppose if I ever join that show, maybe I could walk away with millions of dollars too??". So I think this movie reflects the reality of what is really happening in the world nowadays - to make quick, big money by joining a reality show.
Anyway...
Can't wait to watch the movie!


No comments:
Post a Comment