Thursday, February 16, 2012

Birth Plan

Sample of birth plan at hipp baby

Do you need a birth plan? A birth plan is a written record of what you would like to happen when you are in labour and after your baby's birth.

What to include in the birth plan? Below are some key areas to consider: -
  • Where you would like to have your baby - hospital
  • Who will be your birth partner(s) - husband
  • How you would like your baby to be monitored (with a belt or with a hand-held device) - belt, but hopefully baby will be OK and not have to be monitored
  • Whether or not you would like to stay mobile - would like to stay as mobile as possible
  • What equipment you may like to use, such as beanbags or a birthing mat - birth ball
  • What pain relief you would like to have - hopefully none, but if need be, for midwife to give options. For the time being, entonox (gas & air), birth pool
  • Whether you want to labour and/or deliver your baby in water - if labour condition permits, yes
  • How you feel about having an episiotomy (a cut to the skin between your vagina and anus) - if possible, not to have episiotomy. If need be, to be given local anaesthetic
  • What positions you would like to use for labour and birth - kneel or side-lying....
  • Whether you have any special needs, such as a special diet - vegetarian/ seafood
  • Whether you would like to hold your baby as soon as they are born or let them be cleaned up first - cleaned up first
  • Who will cut the cord - husband
  • Whether you want a Syntometrine injection after the birth (this helps to prevent bleeding from the womb) - probably, midwife to explain side consequences
  • Whether you want your baby to have vitamin K after the birth (to help with blood clotting) - yes
  • How you want to feed your baby - breastfed
This can be used as a reference when you are in the labour suite/ room, and can be discussed with your midwife/ nurse/ gynae/ doctor etc whether what you have planned for is to be followed as close as possible.

But try to be as reasonable as possible and don't be disappointed if things don't go as planned.

Good luck!

By the way, 38 weeks today!

5 comments:

  1. Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much.
    I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.


    my website - Additional Hints

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed!
    Extremely helpful information specially the last part :) I care for such info a lot.

    I was looking for this particular information for a long time.
    Thank you and best of luck.

    my web site; edmonton mortgage rates

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the right webpage for everyone who wants to find out about this topic.

    You realize a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not that I really would want to…HaHa).

    You certainly put a fresh spin on a topic
    that has been written about for a long time. Great stuff,
    just excellent!

    Also visit my blog post; Louis Vuitton Bags

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remarkable issues here. I am very satisfied to look
    your article. Thank you so much and I'm taking a look forward to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

    Also visit my web-site; Abercrombie Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe what you published made a ton of sense. But, think on this, what if you added a little content?
    I mean, I don't want to tell you how to run your website, but what if you added a post title that grabbed people's attention?

    I mean "Birth Plan" is a little boring. You might peek at Yahoo's home page and note how they create post headlines to get people to open the links. You might add a related video or a pic or two to get people interested about everything've written.
    Just my opinion, it would make your posts a little livelier.


    Also visit my page ... Chaussure De Foot Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete